Thursday, October 13, 2011

Organizing Challenge: Your virtual inbox

I have something like 7 email addresses.  I have two that I actively use and a bunch of random ones that I either had no choice about having (such as my student email address) or set up for the express purpose of collecting junk mail, like the one I created for use when applying for scholarships.  I'm the kind of person who prefers to communicate via email so I end up with quite a number of random things in my inbox.  About every two weeks I like to go through and clean out the flotsam that has collected in there.

Today's challenge is to clean up and consolidate your email inboxes.
  • If you have email addresses you no longer use, cancel them.  
  • If you receive automatic emails that you never look at, open one up and look toward the bottom for the unsubscribe link so that you'll no longer receive them.
  • Create sub folders for various emails that you keep, for example I have one for all things related to college, another for correspondences about my current job search, another for emails that are personal that I want to keep for sentimental reason, and additional folders for information about bills or accounts I keep.
  • Lastly, take the time to set up message rules to automatically sort your email.  If you don't know how to do this, do an internet search for your particular mail program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment