Thursday, October 20, 2011

Organizing Challenge: Automatic Bill Payment & Electronic Bills



Sorry the challenge is late for today!  It's been a busy week and I sort of fell asleep before I got around to writing this .  Let's just say my organizing and cleaning skills have been put to the test this week! 

My significant other is currently on deployment so I had to move all of his stuff to our new place on my own.  Pro tip:  When you pack your storage unit do it in the reverse of how you'd want to take the stuff out.  I brought home all the boxes and little things first just to get to the furniture at the bottom and then had to shuffle around mounds of stuff so I could get the furniture in place. 

In the midst of all the chaos I got two emails on my phone: An electronic statement for my power bill and an email saying I'd automagically paid it.  I have everything I possibly can set up on auto pay for just this reason. Sometimes life is busy and I probably would've forgotten to pay the bill on time and then got slapped with a fee.  I also love the electronic statements because they don't take up any extra physical space and it's less stuff in the mail.

Here's the challenge for this week: Proactively reduce clutter and make your life easier by signing up for automatic payments and electronic bills.  Spend ten minutes and go through all of the bills you normally receive.  Look for their website and, if you haven't already, create an account.  Look for an option for "paperless billing" and also for paying your bills automatically.  Viola!  Never have to worry about whether you remembered to pay that bill on time again.  It will also save you money on checks and stamps.

You do still need to check the statements you receive electronically each month.  I'm a bit paranoid and I don't do automatic payments on my credit cards as I like to check all the charges before they're paid, but I've never had a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment